Wednesday, May 20, 2009

Rifts World Book Five Triax Review

Tirax and the NGR, a European nation-state embroiled in a seemingly endless battle against the demon hordes to the east. That pretty much makes up the main point of this book, a technologically advanced group of humans fighting for their basic survival.
I really liked the ideas in this book, but there was one major thing that bothered me about it. Out of it’s 222 pages, this book has less than 30 pages devoted to actually describing the whole continent of Europe, and at least 175 pages of toys. Now, all the toys are some of Palladium’s most interesting, but really, what kind of world book only has 30 pages of actual information? Errrr… Just that makes it impossible to run a game in that area with out having to make up things left and right.

The meager world-data there is excellent, but I get the feeling that my tongue has just been slightly whetted, and that there really could have been MUCH more world data put in. The toys in this book have been some of the most coveted since it was released, but unless you allow your PC’s to somehow find caches of extremely hard-to-find Triax military equipment, most of them are out of reach for the average character operating out of North America.

That brings me to my final point on this book: It’s not in North America. Now, I am sure that many people out there have no problem with this, but for me, North America really is big enough for all of my games. If for some reason my PC’s did end up out side of it’s borders, most of Palladium’s world books are also guilty of having sparsely detailed descriptions of the actual places, and mounds of stats and new OCC’s/RCC’s. But even then, this is one of their coolest book ideas, but it would be pretty difficult to directly incorporate into a North American campaign.

One of the book’s greatest features is it’s awesome art. The cover kicks ass. Long’s stuff shines bright through out the entire thing, and really gives the Triax stuff that slick, bad-ass look. If anything, buy this book for some neeto art to cut out and put up on your wall (or photocopy first, and then put it up on your wall; that’s what I do!). Plus the comic is pretty cool, too bad Palladium has never done another like it…

I originally didn’t buy this book because it really isn’t integral to any game you might want to run in North America. However, a few of my fellow gamers did buy it right away, and after paging through it extensively, I decided to buy I used copy at Gen Con. Was it worth my $17? Well, I would say yes, but it really wasn’t needed, just cool enough for me to spend money on. So, if your short on cash, spend your money on one of Palladium’s newer books dealing with North America, and save getting this one for when you have some money to burn.

Noticable Picture, Quote, or Stat:
A platoon of Triax X-535 Jagers with TX-871MM interchangeable Rotary Missile Drum Launchers. All I can say is VOLLEYS OF 48 SHORT RANGE PLASMA MISSLES. Considering that these things aren’t at all that big, and can still run at about 100 mph with the TX-871MM, a small group of of them could destroy pretty much anything in 1 or 2 attacks!!! Imagine 480 Short range plasma missiles being launched at once! Screw nukes, get these guys in there and make sure they have some supply trucks around for reloads!

Noticable Lame Picture, Quote, or Stat:
While I did enjoy the comic’s art, it was way to unrealistic for me. 2 Jagers vs. 2 Gurgoyle PAs. Fine. But the fact that both of the Gurgoyle bots are taken out in 1 shot?! No way! Even if that was possible, I don’t think that Glank the Gurgoyle pilot would’ve also lost all of his 400 MDC! No, those 2 poor Jagers would have still been in combat with at least 1 of their opponents when the really big-ass robots appeared… Oh well, I guess I’m just nit-picker. =)

No comments:

Post a Comment